High School Counseling and Career Center
High School Social Worker: Karen L. Sullivan, LMSW firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 460-5332
Career Center Registrar: Kacie Goetz email@example.com Phone: 460-5330
Career Center Calendar
Information At A Glance
Junior students are reminded to schedule a Senior Graduation Credit Check with Mrs. Sullivan.
Juniors and Seniors wanting to take or re-take the ACT can sign up now at www.actstudent.org. The Colby High School Code is 170625. The ACT is held on several test dates during both the Fall and Spring semesters. Dates can be found online or in the Counseling and Career Center.
Highlights from the Financial Aid Information Night held January 14, 2016
•FAFSA—Federal Application for Federal Student Aid—www.fafsa.gov
•FSA ID: Replaced the PIN
- The FSA ID (username and password) now replaces the PIN for students, parents and borrowers accessing FSA systems.
- The FSA ID
- ▫Provides more secure access to user’s information
- ▫Links to PIN information during registration
- ▫Offers self–service capability (name change)
- What happens for new users?
- ▫Registration requests same required information as PIN
- ▫New users will be directed to the registration page to create an FSA ID (username and password) similar to today’s PIN creation page
- What happens if I have a PIN already?
- ▫During account creation, user will be asked for their PIN.
- ▫As long as the PIN information matches their other information, the account will be linked to the FSA ID account
- Will the changes affect a user’s ability to access previous FAFSA submissions?
- ▫If the user links their PIN, they will have access to previous FAFSA submissions
•Where can I find funding sources:
- Pell Grants – Based on EFC
- ▫Automatic with eligibility
- ▫Range from $290 to $5,775 for 2015-2016
- ▫Supplemental grant for the neediest of students
- ▫Based on availability
- TEACH Grant
- ▫For those planning to teach in high-need fields
- ▫Agreement to Serve
- Kansas Comprehensive Grant
- ▫Determined by the KS Legislators
- ▫Available at 4-year Colleges & Universities
- ▫Based on availability
- Federal Work Study
- ▫Federal dollars paid in exchange for part-time employment in designated jobs
- ▫School comes first
- Federal Direct Loans
- ▫Parent/Grad PLUS Loans
- Private/Alternative Loans
- ▫Exhaust federal aid options first
•New Timeline for Filing the FAFSA!
Especially by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
•How many schools (colleges) can I select to receive my FAFSA information?
- Students can select up to 10 colleges to receive their FAFSA results
•What happens after I submit my FAFSA information?
- A summary of your application is created for your review & sent to your selected schools electronically
- ▫Summary is called a Student Aid Report (SAR)
- ▫Students with FSA IDs may view SAR online at www.fafsa.gov
- If schools require further information or documentation, they will contact the student directly
- ▫Make sure students know how each school communicates with them
Watch for award notifications
Senior Credit Checks
Seniors and their parents are encouraged to schedule an appointment with Mrs. Sullivan to review credits towards graduation, course scheduling for spring semester, the college application and financial aid process and credit transfer to post-secondary institutions. Contact Mrs. Sullivan at 785-460-5332 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seniors---Scholarships have been posted to the Scholarship/Financial Aid tab.
Transcript Request-If you are needing transcripts sent to colleges or universities, please see the Docufide-Online Transcript Requests tab on the Counseling/Career Center page.
The Career Academy at Colby High School is open to junior and/or senior students. Students enrolled in the Career Academy have the opportunity to earn college credit while attending high school.